Saturday, January 9, 2010

Standby . . .

But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Mt. 14: 22-36

Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. Mk. 6:51

A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Mk. 4: 35, 41

He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. Mk. 6:48

Riding ships in stormy seas is an amazing experience that form the inner soul of the true Sailor. Unique to our profession is working with crashing waves around us - sea spray dousing you and the crew as you make preparations for entering port or an underway replenishment. It is a strange kind of fun as water smashes up and over your bow and the ship heaves as it yaws, pitches and rolls. Storms at sea put you directly in touch with the true magnificence of the Creator. God does some of his most spectacular work with raging black saltwater.

Stand by for heavy rolls while the ship comes about . . . in the coming days I am going to be writing about some heavy things. I write this blog mostly for my self - to work out my thoughts - and for others to read them and stir within their minds their own thoughts on the subject being presented. These days my thoughts are on repentance and my sin, redemption and my Savior. I have to understand how these things hinder and help, ruin and reform, and truly, practically influence the way I lead rather in the engine room, combat, or the bridge. I am convinced that if I am going to be serious about how I lead I have to be serious about how I sin. So, let's talk about the raging black saltwater within us - for God does, indeed, do some of His most spectacular work in the midst of it. To this end, I am going to be writing about sin and the ways of a Repentant Leader. If that word scares you or you think it may be discouraging - you would be partially right. You may not want to read for a time. But, you will miss out on the creation of a fuller understanding of the Gospel and its ability to completely transform you. So, I am going to be writing a series about things more sober, yet powerful. I've explored enough nuggets of leadership principles for now - something more is necessary. I think it may be time to think more seriously on more serious things. So, I'll consider the implications of the verses above and the Gospel-metaphor of the storm and the boat. Leadership begins with the leader - self-reflection is necessary for leadership development. I hope you will keep reading. If these daily doses of Biblical leadership thought stir your spiritual-mind then I would encourage you to tell 2-3 fellow leaders about it (simply text, IM, e-mail, Facebook the web address).

1 comment:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog, and I will return to read your words. Thank you for your service.
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete