Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Leadership Litmus Test

As I was in church this past Easter Sunday I wondered how many people were there for the first time since Christmas or for the first time since last Easter. My mind quickly flashed with excitement to the hope that I would see one of my Sailors visiting the church. Then I pondered and aspired anew to this simple test for Christian leadership in the workplace:

How now shall I lead that should I be surprised to meet one of my subordinates at church they would not be surprised to see me there as well? To put it another way; would one of my Sailors, Chiefs, Division Officers, or Senior Officers see a disparity between who I am on the ship and who they expect to find at church? Would there be Christ-shaming hypocrisy found in the way that I lead those I am entrusted to care for?

My prayer is that by grace the gap would be minimal between who I am inside the lifelines and who I am outside them - that there would be true and evident integrity of character in all facets of my life - and that it would bring greater glory to the Lord as a result.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post and thanks for sharing! I think it is also interesting to think about the many people who live a singular life filled with "evident integrity of character in all facets of (our) life" yet don't proclaim a religion or go to church. I like to think of myself as one who falls into that category, but only my actions can speak for my thoughts and the perceptions of others are what speak for my actions. Church or no church, may we all strive to minimize "duality."

    ReplyDelete