Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chit, Choice, Or Child?

Continued from "Very Special Request Chit"

This is the place in my narrative that I ask you what you would do. Approve? Disapprove? Is it none of your business? Is it just another chit? Or maybe it's a personal choice? Then again, maybe it's a child. Would you be an accessory? Read on as the story continues.

BM3 Smith said, "Are you sure you have time?" I replied, "Of course, what is it?" She began, "Well, Sir, 5 or 6 months ago I was dating a few guys, one or two from the ship and even seeing a couple from other ships over at the barracks." "OK," I said gently, "Continue." "Sir, I just want you to know that I don't want to leave the ship, that's why I put in the chit," she said ominously. "It's just that I am doing well here and . . . and all my friends are here, Deck is my family." "What are you going to do in a few weeks that will ensure you stay onboard?" I prodded. "Just take care of a personal problem. You see, around 5 months ago I got pregnant," she paused "and I have began showing, I've been able to continue working hard, and nobody's noticed. So, I figure I would just take care of it before it became a problem." I am not easily surprised, but this one set me on my heels. As I sat there for a moment I was amazed that she certainly was not showing and that there was no way to tell she was pregnant. I sat quietly for a minute, then I asked her to come see me in the morning with Chief; that I wanted to talk with her about this.

After she left I slowly closed the door and sat there in silence as I thought and then prayed in desperation. I pondered what it would mean for me to approve her request chit to take care of "personal business." And I thought . . . I knew that the state allowed abortions through the second term, but I also have a good friend whose healthy little girl was born early at just 5 1/2 months into the pregnancy. Then my mind flashed to images of my own child.

Ethical leadership ceased being a neat idea, fascinating concept, and positive tag line that day - it became real. Hope to hear from you on this one . . .

2 comments:

  1. I just came across this blog and I am so touched. Can you tell us the result of this story or is it in a future blog? I was just 16 when I found out I was pregnant and I was already 20 weeks. My mother wanted to send me to Sweden where she said they could do abortions that late. I am so grateful that God put His hand in that situation and stopped her. I did give up my son for adoption which was very hard, but such a blessing for his family. This was almost 36 years ago. When he was 21 I found him. I remember being worried that he would hate me for relinquishing him but he said.."I understand- you were young. You could have killed me but instead you gave me life and gave me to a great family." Months after I found him I received a mother's day card from his adopted mother and inside she wrote to me..."Now I can say to you what I've wanted to say to you for years. Thank you for making me a Mom." Please don't let her kill that baby. There are so many other solutions. I wish I could help her and let her know that there is nothing wrong with adoption. She will bless someone who cannot have any children. I pray that she searched some kind of counseling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I could have written this blog entry myself. As a SWO, former 1st Lieutenant and Follower of Christ, I found myself in a very similar situation almost 5 years ago. My heart sinks when I think of the outcome... Though I disapproved her chit, it was eventually signed by the one who is the final approval and it not only cost the life of her child, but it also ruined her career with the follow-on physical and psychological complications. Is there any way we can connect offline? I just came accross your blog this evening and my wife and I are praising God for the discovery. Could you send me an email somehow through this blog?

    In Christ,
    Grant Bryan

    ReplyDelete